Carson Valley Museum & Cultural Center
In 1988, the school board leased the building to the Carson Valley Historical Society. The society renovated the structure to become a museum of Douglas County history and a cultural center to benefit and be enjoyed by visitors and residents of Douglas County and the surrounding area.
Grants were received from Douglas County and the State of Nevada as well as private donations. An immense outpouring of volunteer help from individuals, businesses, and organizations brought about the successful restoration of the building and the grand opening of the Carson Valley Museum and Cultural Center on August 19, 1995. More
Courthouse Museum Genoa
The courthouse was constructed by Rufus Adams and Lawrence Gilman in 1865 when Genoa was the county seat of Douglas County. In 1916, the county seat was moved to Minden, a thriving new town in the center of the valley.
The courthouse building was used as a school from 1916 until 1956. In 1969, it was opened as a museum by the Carson Valley Historical Society.
The Courthouse Museum Genoa is the realization of a dream envisioned by a group of descendants of Carson Valley pioneers who organized the Carson Valley Historical Society in 1961. Through an extensive restoration program, the exterior was repaired and the interior restored. The restoration project was funded by grants from the state and county, the Bicentennial Commission, the Fleischmann Foundation, and private gifts and donations.
In 1971, title to the building was granted to the Carson Valley Historical Society by the Nevada State Legislature. More